Student Visa

Australia Student visas are available for internationals who want to study there. In order to qualify for a visa subclass 500, applicants must follow the guidelines of the Immigration Office.

Australia Student Visa

What Are the Requirements for a Student Visa in Australia?

For an Australian student visa (subclass 500) application you must submit these documents:
Passport. Applicants who want a student visa for Australia should submit a valid passport issued by your current country of residence/birth country. You may also be required to submit a copy of your national ID and driver’s license. Recent Photograph and Biometrics. You must also submit recent identity photographs and biometrics. The Immigration Office will let you know if they need your fingerprints. Student Visa Application Form. The application form for a student visa has to be filled in, signed, and submitted with the rest of the required documents. Age Requirements. Students must be 6 or older to apply for the subclass 500 visa. Moreover, students have to be a certain age when they begin your primary, secondary, or tertiary education: Younger than 17 years old when they begin year 9 of school. Younger than 18 years old when they begin year 10 of school. Younger than 19 years old when they begin year 11 of school. Younger than 20 years old when they begin year 12 of school. Evidence of Study Program. When you apply for a student visa in Australia you have to submit a Confirmation Letter of Enrollment (CoE) for all of the courses you plan on taking during your study programme. Your CoE has to be submitted before your visa is granted. Remember that your CoE expires and it’s your responsibility to make sure that you have a valid CoE during your stay otherwise your student visa may be canceled. If you are taking more than one study course, you must submit all of CoE pertaining to those study courses. If you don’t, then your visa will be valid only for that study course. You are allowed to take 2 or more courses as long as the classes have a gap of at least two months between them and one course leads to the second one.Instead of a CoE, you need to submit a letter of support if you belong to one of these categories: A student sponsored by the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade. A student sponsored by the Department of Defence.

English Language Certification. Character Requirements. Students who want to study in Australia have to meet the requirements for good character laid out by the Australian authorities. Genuine Temporary Entrant. Students must provide a written statement stating their intention to study temporarily in Australia. The genuine temporary entrant requirement is important because it shows the Immigration Office that you don’t intend to overstay after your visa expires. Employment History. You must also submit documents proving your employment. This could include a recent contract or a current contract if you are working at the moment, you may also submit your updated CV. In case you have been studying until now, you can submit a copy of your transcripts. This requirement is not applicable to students who are sponsored by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade or the Department of Defence, or secondary exchange students. Form 157N. This form is required only for students younger than 18 years of age. They have to provide a nomination form in order to take a guardian with them to Australia (see below). Australian Values Statement. Future students in Australia have to sign an Australian values statement confirming that they will uphold all the Australian values and laws. Authorised Recipient Form. If someone else is helping you with your application you must submit this form. In case you have a migration agent helping you, then include this form. You may also write a letter and upload it to your ImmiAccount explaining why you need help and who is helping you.

If you are a secondary exchange student, then you must submit an Acceptance Advice of Secondary Exchange Student Form. Postgraduate research students who are required to remain in Australia for their thesis have to provide a letter from their education provider. Parental Consent. If you are bringing a child under 18 years old with you, and one of the parents is not accompanying the child to Australia, then there should be a parental consent form attached to the visa application. Civil Documents. You have to provide documents such as; your birth certificate, marriage certificate, divorce papers, adoption papers, including evidence of your relationship with a partner. If you changed your name, you must also provide a certificate verifying your name change. Health Insurance. Students need to have adequate health insurance for their Australia visa application. Student applicants and their family members must be covered by Overseas Student Health Cover (OSCH). The insurance must be valid from the day students arrive in Australia and not from the date their courses begin. Students must get OSHC from an approved provider and then pay for the insurance policy, if applicants don’t have health insurance they may not be allowed to enter Australia. Students may be exempted from health insurance if: They are Norwegian students covered by the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme. They are a Swedish student covered by Kammarkollgiet. They are a Belgian student under the Reciprocal Health Care Agreements with Australia. Evidence of Financial Capacity. You must provide: Enough financial funds to support your travel costs, 1 year of living in Australia, and enough funds to cover your tuition fees (including funds to cover family members). Proof that family members will financially support the applicant during your study programme. The family members must have an annual income of at least AUD 62,222 for single students and AUD 72,592 for students who have other family members with them. Acceptance Advice of Secondary Exchange Student Form for exchange students. A letter of support from either the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade or the Department of Defence​

These students may be exempted from the language requirement: Citizens from the; UK, USA, Canada, New Zealand, or Republic of Ireland. Applicants who are sponsored by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, or Department of Defence. Applicants who are secondary exchange students. Applicants who are enrolled in a course of study that is a registered school course. Applicants that are registered in a standalone English Language Intensive Course for Overseas Students. Students who are registered in a course that is delivered in a language other than English. Applicants who have completed at least 5 years of study in any of these countries: UK, USA, Canada, New Zealand, South Africa, or Republic of Ireland. Applicants who held a student visa and have completed either the Senior Secondary Certificate of Education in Australia or an important course of study (in English) leading to a qualification at level IV or higher, from the Australian qualifications framework- at least two years before their application.